Sunday, March 29, 2009

Beauty's Only Skin Deep!

A couple of weeks ago, Estee Lauder called me---not really Estee, but her "people"---and invited me in for a free facial. I used to get facials years ago, but they stopped doing them. Friday was my appointment. When I was on the table, the esthetician (had to look that up) put two tiny pads over my eyes and then turned on a high-powered light to examine the condition of my skin. As she started to prod and probe my skin, she diagnosed a few broken capillaries along with a few clogged pores on my forehead. Then she asked me about my skin care regime. I totally lied. I actually told her what I used to do.

I started with Estee Lauder back in the late 70's. I was in my mid-twenties and decided that I needed to start taking care of my skin. I took advantage of all the Estee Lauder promotions and bought into the entire skin care system. I was diligent about my skin care until around 50. To this day, I never go to bed without removing my makeup---about 30 years I've faithfully washed my face every night. But that's about it, no more night creams, eye creams, night repair, or line remover, I just do the basics. Don't get me wrong---I own it all, I just don't bother with it. Still, I lied and gave the gal the run-down of what I used to do. Then, I could hardly keep a straight face when she said to me---"It's obvious that you take very good care of your skin. You have very good elasticity, little sun damage and few lines. Your skin is still young." Then came the sales pitch, "I would like to see you try some of our new products. We have travelled all over the world to find the rarest of ingredients for our newest creams." Interpret that to mean---really expensive. I resisted the urge to ask her where "she" went to hunt for these rare ingredients. 

Anyway, it was a nice treat and I'll be going again next month. The facials are one hour long and complimentary with a purchase. No, I didn't fall for the "new" skin care products. I figured if I'm not going to use them anyway, I might as well not use the ones I already have. I did buy some new makeup--quite a bit actually, to compliment my nice skin. Keeping the sun off my face all these years has paid off.

Oh, and when I went to lunch, the waiter asked me if I wanted the children's menu!

3 comments:

  1. I try to be good about washing my face every night, but sometimes all I can manage to do is swipe my face with astringent. I'm sure that's better than nothing but certainly not ideal. You've inspired me to be better about my night time routine now, so we'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too funny.....it's the same way with my hair. I use the cheapest shampoo....Tres something or Suave.....whatever's on sale. When I get my hair done, they're always trying to get me to buy expensive shampoo. Then, they look at my hair and tell me what good condition my hair is in!!! They ask what shampoo I use....when I tell them Tres Emme or whatever it is....they can't believe it. They've lost their sales pitch with me. I guess I should count myself lucky that I've been blessed with good hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the worst at washing my face. The only time I do it is in the shower. I never remove my makeup before bed... and don't the next day, either if I don't take a shower! Wonder what condition my skin is in!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.