Wednesday, February 5, 2014

One Woman's Waste of Time is Another Woman's Priority!

While on our trip this past weekend, my friends and I were talking about how we spend our limited spare time. Everyone knows I follow over 200 blogs---and the funny thing is---I'm the only one in my circle of family and friends that follows any blogs at all! Well, except they read mine and might click over to a link I've posted, but that's about it.

I read blogs because I have an innate quest for learning. I want to learn as much as I can---I might not always remember stuff, but I love learning it---which, technically isn't really learning it after all. So, let's just say, I love discovering new things whether I'll remember them or not. I love little peeks in to other's lives. Maybe I'm just nosy. One thing is for sure, I discover a lot. The internet is amazing.

I was showing Karolyn and Pam how I use a "blog reader" to keep up. On a daily basis, there can be as many as a hundred new posts. Yes, that's a lot of reading. But here's the thing---you do not have to read everything. I zip through and decide what I'm interested in reading. I add them to my reading list. I  have many favorite bloggers where I read everything they post. I've even become "internet friends" with many of them. I love that!

So, realistically, how much time does it take to keep up with that many blogs? I'd say about an hour a day. You'd be surprised at how fast you can zip through a hundred posts. It's when I'm out-of-town that I get behind. I'm okay with that. I actually like the fact that I have plenty of reading material on my list. Now that I have my treadmill desk, I'm loving the work out I get at the same time.

Karolyn made the comment that all of my blogs would be way too overwhelming for her and she would not have the time. On the other hand, she and Pam play Sudoku with their coffee every morning. That's how they choose to spend an hour. I'd rather read something.

Here are a few quotes I've recently discovered---where? You guessed it---from my blogs! This is one of my favorites: Missus Wookies Wanderings. I LOVE "Ted Talks" and she's got some good ones on that post.

“Go to bed smarter than when you woke up.”
— Charlie Munger

How to get smarter:

Warren Buffett says read a lot---500 pages a day. 

The best thing a human being can do is to help another human being know more.”
— Charlie Munger 

Those quotes sum it up for me.

Posting to my own blog takes about another hour a day. I can't do that on the treadmill---remember the crappy typing while walking? My goal is to post 4 or 5 times a week. The "natives" get restless if I don't.

Now, let's talk about Facebook, Pinterest and computer games. To me, these are the real time wasters.  I check Facebook about once or twice a week, Pinterest---only when I'm looking for something (I spent 33 minutes today looking for ideas using corks---more on that later) and I NEVER play computer games---except the family games I have going on my phone. I just don't have the time for that frivolous stuff.

Did I say frivolous? What I meant was---one woman's waste of time is another woman's priority!! I'll stick with my blogs.


4 comments:

  1. Yay! Standing ovation! I love reading blogs, connecting with people, seeing what motivates and makes them tick. I detest facebook games, iPhone games, etc. I don't play any of them. You always learn from reading. What do you learn from shooting fat little birds into targets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading blogs but like to exercise my mind with a crossword and sudoku as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you! I hate facebook, but I love blog reading. That's how I connect with other scrapbookers and, yes, learn lots of new stuff every day. Someone once said to me that they liked to be the person in the room who knew the most. I didn't like that.I'm the opposite. I like to be the person who knows the least..so that I can learn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a blog reader, too, and enjoying a nice catch up with my blog friends today. I check Facebook once a day, very quickly, but don't have many of my friends in my Newsfeed so it will go quickly. I like that with blogs we get to know others and as you mentioned, we can learn things, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.