Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Southern-Style Oven-Fried Chicken & Dessert

Busy with the family this week, but I'm eeking out a little time to share this low-cal recipe. This is an old Weight Watcher's recipe. I made it for our day on the pontoon boat. I was afraid that it might be soggy after chilling, but it was fine. Microwaving it later made it soggy. Hot from the oven or cold---it's really good. I found it needed more salt, but you can always add that when you eat it.

Southern-Style Oven-Fried Chicken

4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (I prefer the tenderloins)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/3 cup flour
1 pkg. ranch dressing mix (I added this to the original recipe)
3 oz. low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup cornflakes, crushed fine

Preheat oven to 375. Spray baking dish. Combine the salt, cayenne pepper and ranch dressing in to the flour. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, then dip in to buttermilk followed by the cornflake crumbs. Bake 25-30 minutes.

Low-cal Cake

1 yellow cake mix (or any flavor)
1 can diet Coke (or any flavor)

Mix the dry cake with the diet soda. Pour in to sprayed 9x13 pan. Bake according to mix directions, but check a little sooner than recommended. The cake does not rise, so it will be thin. Top with fresh fruit and Cool Whip-Lite.

1 comment:

  1. I've used cornflakes for oven fried chicken before but hadn't thought to add a ranch dressing mix in for more flavor - will have to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.