Saturday, September 6, 2014

Apparently I Lied!

When my girls were growing up, I used to say all the time, "No one is going to come knocking on your door to be your friend!" Meaning, they needed to put themselves "out there." We moved a lot. I realize that can be hard on kids---especially teens. This was how I tried to motivate them to join something. It worked.

But, apparently, I lied!! Here's the story---I've already "bragged" about it to the girls.

About a month or so a go, one of the newer ladies at bridge sat down at our table for the round. Afterwards, she asked if she could talk to me. I, said "yes." I thought she wanted to sell me something or ask for a donation. My bridge partner kept asking me what she wanted. I said I didn't know. After bridge that day, the new, younger girl and I sat and talked for half an hour. She started with, "You are so nice. I just wanted to get to know you better." How sweet is that? Remember my "being nice" post? Well, I have a lot of friends and don't really need new ones. But, heck, at my age, who knows?!! Turns out, we have a lot in common.

I have a lunch date with my new friend on Tuesday.

So, yesterday, this happened. A friend I knew for only one year when we lived in West Virginia in 1977 reached out to me via the internet. OMGosh! That is so cool!! We are in the process of setting up a phone date. That's a big deal to me because I hate talking on the phone---except when I can do it while walking and get the steps for it. I've always thought the phone was a huge time waster.

Anyway, I just wanted to set the record straight and apologize to my girls. Apparently, people do come knocking at my door to be my friend.

Okay, I'll stop bragging now.

PS Butch thinks I'm crazy. He doesn't want that many friends!


4 comments:

  1. Friends are good! Delighted that being proved wrong is such a bonus :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How FUN to have a new friend & reconnect with an old friend! I just made some bookmarks recently with the quote - "friends are like pockets, you can never have too many!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good story Barbara..enjoy your new friends x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great story! Funny, I thought at the very beginning it was going to be about new friends knocking on a dorm door..there's a bit of that goes on at this time of year

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.