Saturday, October 11, 2014

Some Days are Just Like That

I don't really like to do errands. I put them off until I absolutely have to do them. I have a pretty good Thursday routine---gas (whether I need it or not), nail salon, post office, cleaners, bank---all before playing bridge at 10 a.m. But sometimes, the types of errands I have to do can't be done until business establishments open at 10 a.m. I'm a morning person, so believe me, if businesses opened earlier, I'd be the first one there!

Anyway, my first stop was the Sprint store. I wanted to find out why we pay a little over $200 a month for our phone service when they are advertising a family plan for $100. Well, I pulled up, got out of the car, walked to the door---only to find the place had gone out of business. What??? This is the one and only store I've been going to since my very first cell phone---20 years ago (can it possibly be that long?). I looked around thinking I'd gone to the wrong place. Nope, it was dark and empty. I turned to Siri to "find the closest Sprint store." To which she responded, "it looks like you are there!" I guess that means it just closed at the end of September. Bummer.

Errand #1---unfinished.

CVS Minute Clinic was next on my list. We're going to Costa Rica in February. I had previously gone to the MC for shots prior to going to The Holy Land a few years ago. The wait time was an hour and 38 minutes. No way.

Errand #2---unfinished.

My next stop was Macy's for some makeup. I won't bore you with the details, but they didn't have what I needed despite the computer showing one in stock and the clerks search.

Errand #3---unfinished.

My last stop was a carpet store. I want to have a new rug made for my kitchen. I browsed, I selected, I ordered, I was ready to pay. The clerk says, "okay, it will be 3-5 business days for me to get the estimate. What?? I just wanted to be done.

Errand #4---unfinished.

Turns out, I was gone for several hours and completed absolutely NOTHING on my list. 

Fast forward to yesterday. It's pouring down rain. Of course. Never fails. Now I've had to add a few other stops to my list---in the friggin' pouring down rain! So, what do I do first thing to calm myself down about the unpleasant yet necessary tasks ahead? I start with a Starbucks tea. Yeah, that's the ticket. Venti, iced black, shaken with 3 Equals please! Calms me every time. 

First stop---CVS---again. This time, I get there right at opening and run through the pouring rain. Someone was ahead of me, but the wait was only 20 minutes. I picked up a few things I needed. I got 2 shots---including my flu shot. Texted Morgan who is a big sissy when it comes to shots: "just got 2 shots #imnotababy." To which she responded: "I can only hope to be as brave as you one day!"

Errand #2 (I'm counting Starbucks as #1)---completed! Eureka!

Next on the list was Office Depot for computer ink. It's pouring so hard that I get out the umbrella. I stay pretty dry, but my inside car door is pretty drippy. After slipping on the wet floor inside the store (luckily I didn't fall all the way down) I get what I need and turn in my old cartridges for recycling.

Errand #3---completed. Now I'm on a roll!

The day before, we got a delivery notice from our mailman. I had to stop and pick up from the post office whatever "certified mail" he had for us. Neither Butch nor I could think of what it could be. Actually, I didn't say, but I was pretty certain I had won something---hopefully cash. Again, I ran through the pouring rain only to discover the stupid certified mail was an insurance cancellation notice. Not even a refund check. Huh? We cancelled "YOU!" Why did I have to be "friggin'" inconvenienced to make a special trip to the post office??

Errand #4---completed. Even if it was a waste of time.

Now I'm ready to try another Sprint store. Again, park, umbrella, rain. When I got to the store, there was only one person ahead of me. I waited about 10 minutes. The representative was knowledgeable and helpful. She answered all my questions. Turns out, we're sticking with our old plan. The $100 is pretty misleading---you have to add $15 per phone, access fees, blah, blah, blah---turns out to be more than the $200 we already pay. I did learn one thing though---to upgrade to the new iPhone 6 costs $200. But, the iPhone 5 has retained it's value. If you trade that in, you get $238!!! My 5 is 2 years old, but I love it and do not plan to upgrade. Butch could use an upgrade as he has the 4. His trade in value is 28 bucks! He's keeping it. That brings us to Mindy. She's upgrading hers. She wants more memory, so she's going to owe (after trade in) about $50. 

Errand #5---completed---at least my part. Phone ordered---Mindy to pick up.

The sun came out for about 5 minutes on the way home. Raining when I got there. I had a phone message about the rug. I guess it was a good thing I got that estimate. There is NO WAY I'm paying $1500.00 for a little rug to go under my kitchen table. 

Errand #6---incomplete---and may never be completed if that's the cost of custom rugs. I remember what I paid for the one I'm replacing and it was quite that much. I just wish I could find the right color/size in a pre-made. Oh wait, that's a whole new set of errands! Another day. Maybe when it's not raining.




4 comments:

  1. Ha..how do you make a post on running errands an enjoyable read. I love how you text Morgan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..and men think we enjoy pottering around the shops! I feel your frustration. I had a few errands like that myself this week. As Louise says, it makes a great read though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, what an adventure your errands days have been! I, too, like to get my errands done early and want to check them all off in one round. I usually go on Tuesdays because that seems to be the least busy day at the grocery store (& most other places) and I don't mind the rain because less people are out in it. Of course, we haven't had enough rain this past year to remove the water restrictions, so it hasn't been much of an issue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I know how those days go. I'm an early morning person too, so I am often at the grocery at 6 a.m., and then to Target by 8 a.m. Also have you tried rugstudio.com online for rugs. That's where I got a couple for my house - you order the smallest size available to check for color and quality then return and order the right size if you are satisfied. Shipping both ways is free.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.