Saturday, November 22, 2014

Will We Ever Get it All Done?

The answer is most definitely "YES"! We always do. But it's probably not the best time---for the remodeling. Our start was delayed which at the time seemed good because of all the stuff that had to be done. Well, the wallpaper removal guy is coming on Tuesday. The demolition guys are coming Monday, December 1st. In the meantime, we've had Stephanie's birthday this week. We're Christmas decorating this weekend and leaving for Thanksgiving in Charlotte with Sandy and family on Tuesday morning. When we get home, I have book club right away. And I've promised to get Steph's house re-decorated after her remodel---which includes the two of us doing some serious cleaning. That means I really have to plan it all out to get it all done.  I'm giving her the week after Thanksgiving. By then, I'll be decorated and ready for the holidays myself. I won't feel pressured and can enjoy helping her.

I think I mentioned this before---I live my life on a timeline. Every Sunday, I look at my calendar and figure out what all I have to do for the week. Then I make a list of each day of the week and plug in all of my "to dos" for the week. For example, knowing I had so much to accomplish in the next two weeks, I purchased my non-perishable groceries for book club. I also made some food for that I put in the freezer---not only for book club, but for freezer club and the holiday parties. I'm in good shape there.

As for the remodeling, Butch's office had to be completely emptied---3 huge bookshelves all full of stuff. He's boxed a lot up and we're using one of the guest rooms as storage. We still have a lot of furniture to move out. I've already emptied all the cabinets in the rec room. We worked our tails off yesterday. I had to move a lot of stuff out of my closet in my scrapbook room to clear a path to the Christmas stuff stored in the attic beyond. That's always a job every year, but it is by far easier to do that than to haul up and down a pull down ladder. We had that at our old house. When you don't have a basement, you have to use the attic. I have 3 attics in this house, but we only use the one. We cleaned it out completely last year, so now the only things in it are Christmas decorations (just the tree, outside garlands and the huge garlands for the staircase) and a child's rocking chair---Mindy's---can't part with it.

I have a really nice, big Christmas closet that stores everything else. In fact, it was that closet that nearly sold me the house. But, I've learned, closet or not, don't underestimate the work of all that hauling up and down the stairs. It's a workout for sure. Plus, I always do it in one day. I'm exhausted, but that's how I roll!!

Anyway, back to this week. We went to the club for Stephanie's birthday dinner. Morgan stopped by to change and left these:
I left them here all week on the kitchen floor just as she left them. It made me happy to see them every time I walked in the kitchen. Almost like there were kids back in the house again. I plan to do a  scrapbook page titled "The Things They Leave Behind"---and this photo is perfect for that.
I moved happy hour in to the dining room this week so the girls could do their fall project. Morgan was off work, so she came too. It tickles me that these teens now want to do craft projects.

Everything in this family is a competition whether prizes are involved or not. Now understand, these were all pretty much exactly alike---duplicates of my examples. Still, Stephanie, Mindy and Morgan wanted a vote on who's was "best." They each submitted one of the four autumn votives. Butch, Nicky and I had to judge. We all picked #1 just because the bow was a little fluffier. That was Mindy's and she was ecstatic!! I guess we're glad that it takes so little make them happy!!

More work for the weekend. Monday, I have AYM and packing for our trip. Then it's 4 days of laid back fun, food and family activities!!

Let the holidays begin!!! I'm ready!!! Or I will be!!!

5 comments:

  1. "Demolition guy" definitely sounds a little bit scary this close to Christmas. It reminds me of the holiday we had a kitchen floor laid just in time. But it did all work out in the end and if anyone can make it work - you can

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a page of things they have left behind ... I have a bundle right here. Isn't it warming, just looking at them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you left the sneakers just where they had been left. That strikes a chord today, as I prepare myself (gradually) for my boy to go off to university next year. Thank you for your sweet comment on my "gift" house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remodeling during the holidays - you are brave. Good luck with it. I am in awe of your organization.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, you are always so busy! We have the pull down ladder to the attic where our decorations are stored - I handed everything down to Robbie before we left for our trip, so I'm ready to decorate when we get home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.